It’s that time of year – The Open 2018
What is the Open?
The CrossFit Games Open is the largest worldwide fitness event in history. Five workouts over five weeks are used as a qualifier for the CrossFit Games Regionals. But, in affiliates all over the world, the Open is a time to come together as a larger community and have a lot of fun.
Friday Night Lights
We’ve had a tradition for the last five years of doing the Open workouts in all classes every Friday during the Open Season. In the evenings, these will be done in heats as “Friday Night Lights.” It’s a fun atmosphere and a great time to meet folks from other class times. Think: happy hour with a little sweat beforehand.
Friday Night Lights 2018 starting Friday, Feb. 23rd
This year we’ll be doing a weekly in-house “competition” as a way to test our fitness and get to know some new faces around the gym. Here’s how it works:
- Teams of 4 with 1 Team Captain and 1 Rookie
- Team Captains are in charge of scoring & must submit scores by each Tuesday
- How to earn points:
- Complete that week’s Open workout
- Attending Friday Night Lights (+2 points/team member)
- Team spirit (+5 points)
- Each week, we’ll give away prizes for different categories: Male/Female Rx/Scaled, Masters, & Rookie
How to get involved
There is a sign-up sheet at the front desk if you have a team or you’re looking for a team. You’ll need a rookie (see FAQ below) and a team captain to keep score. If you don’t have a full team, there is a “looking for a team” section on the sign-up sheet.
1. Who is considered a rookie? A rookie is someone who has not participated in 3 or more Friday Night Lights (FNL) or Open WODs.
2. If I’m a veteran/team captain do I have to do Rx? No
3. What if I can do the Rx movement just not that many reps (ie. you can do a muscle up or 2)? Do Rx.
4. Can I do the scaled workout? If you usually do lifestyle track or cannot safely do the skill or weight then do the scaled option.
5. What if I don’t know anybody to make a team? Put your name on the sign-up sheet and we will assign you to one.
6. Can my team get points if I did the workout at the 6 or 12 class? Your team can get points from your score. However, if you are not present at FNL, then your team will not get all possible attendance points. If you do the WOD earlier and still attend FNL then you will still receive your attendance points.
7. I’m a little hesitant. Should I do this? Unless you hate people and fun… YES!